What Makes a Bongi’s Turkey So Special
- What we do sets us apart from the large turkey producers. For over 70 years…
”All Bongi’s turkeys are raised for quality and sold on merit”.
- No pre-basting, our turkeys are naturally juicy. They do not need to be injected with added moisture.
- No added fat to the turkeys feed. Adding fat to a turkeys feed accelerates its growth and can cause it to put on excess fat.
- No hormones. Actually no one feeds hormones to poultry, it’s unnecessary and illegal.
- No antibiotics for growth promotion. Feeding a constant low level of antibiotics is used by some producers to promote quick growth and as a substitute for other more costly management practices.
- No trucking of live turkeys for long distances for extended periods of time.
All Turkeys are Fed a Strict Vegetarian Diet, No animal Byproducts are ever added to the feed.
More than seventy five years ago,the newlyweds Tony and Anna Bongiorno moved to Duxbury. They purchased seven acres of land for four hundred dollars and proceeded to set up a chicken farm. During the war years, operating out of a small shop in Quincy, Tony sold a maximum of two chickens a person to people waiting in long lines. In all, he raised about 60,000 chickens a year.
After the war, Tony and Anna made the switch from chickens to turkeys and became one of seven turkey farms on “Turkey row” (a dirt road that is now rt. 53). In 1947, “Bongi’s” was born and the recipes that were written are ones that are still used today. The original store was just an old motel cabin moved from down the street. Until the expressway was built, Rt. 53 was the main road to the cape. Soon, stopping at Bongi’s for chicken box lunches and turkey pies became a tradition for many cape-goers. This tradition is one that many families still follow today. In fact, tradition is what we are all about at Bongi’s!